Orchestras face particular and pressing challenges in a continually growing digital realm. The decline in the coverage of orchestral concerts in conventional media together with the need to reach and engage new audiences calls for new thinking and new strategies. Hence, the IMZ Academy “Re-Imagining the Orchestra for the Digital Age” is designed to address these challenges and to help orchestras to position and promote themselves in the digital world.
After a successful first edition in August 2017, this IMZ Academy will yet again focus on the orchestra in digital space, covering all aspects of the visualisation and dissemination of orchestral performance: from event capture – whether for television, cinema or online- to effective audience development strategies, including specific opportunities through social media and online content.
The sessions will be led by IMZ Academy director Peter Maniura (Head of Digital Development, BBC Arts) with experts and eminent guest speakers Becky Lees (Head of LSO Live, London Symphony Orchestra), Mans Pär Fogelberg (Producer GSOplay, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra), Eva Essvik (Audience and Business Developer, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra) and Kriss Russman (EMMY-nominated, multi-camera Director and Filmmaker) sharing their insights on the latest developments and technologies in the field. Further sessions are yet to be confirmed.
Dates: 29 May: 11:00-17:30 & 30 May: 9:30-18:00
Venue: Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna (MUK)
IMZ Academy aims:
- To outline the range of editorial and technical knowledge which an orchestra requires to promote and position itself in the digital world
- To help orchestras develop their narrative as creative organisationsTo help them decide who their audience is and how to reach them
- To help define and develop their digital strategy and its active components
- To provide a framework for decisions about whether or not to invest in in-house technology and staff to pursue their digital strategy
- To examine best practice in multi-camera performance capture and streaming, including low-cost options
- To develop thinking around a range of editorial content beyond performance
IMZ Academy is dedicated to:
- Representatives of Digital & Media Development Departments
- Digital Media & Event Producers
- Public Relations Professionals
- Marketing & Communications Specialists
- Video & Sound Technicians
Presentations and discussions will cover artistic, as well as technical and financial challenges and examine best practice in performance capture, streaming, editorial curation and audience impact. Workshop sessions are an important element in the IMZ Academy approach, allowing participants to work in small groups on concrete challenges and future-facing initiatives.
Please find more details on the IMZ Academy 2018